An "average" donor does not exist. Each presents a unique set of passions, interests and needs.
Every fortunate individual must strive to champion the cause of impact leadership and engage in contributing to tangible societal change. But currently large sums of money are channeled into social sector programs such as education, health, nutrition, and livelihoods, among others in a fragmented manner. There is lack of awareness as to how to contribute or drive social change. In addition, the lack of information on how these social development ‘investments’ translate into outcomes on the ground, is a major barrier to evaluating their effectiveness and determining whether donors/taxpayers’ money is being well spent.
This creates a need for an easy, trustworthy, and empowering platform for individuals and organizations to connect, collaborate, and create an integrated ecosystem of ‘impact-oriented giving and social development’ in India. KarmaKonnect aims to bring in transparency and professionalism to the NGOs/non-profit ecosystem while also empowering small-scale ‘giving projects’, and facilitating the sharing of best practices. KarmaKonnect has, therefore, created a ‘from charity to impact’ platform and helps you design impactful donor programs that align with your values and also helps engage local volunteers to fuel sustainable community growth. When the donors are equipped with the knowledge, capacity, and accountability services to make their work more strategic, the social sector in India will be transformed dramatically and more people will be moved out of poverty at a faster pace.
Statistics show that India is still positioned dismally when it comes to Human Development Index:
- India was ranked 130 of 188 countries world-wide on the Human Development Index 2015—below Iran, Sri Lanka and Maldives
- VetOn the Human Capital Index 2016, which measures national learning and employment outcomes, India ranked 105 out of 130 countries, below Sri Lanka (50), Bhutan (91) and Bangladesh (104)
- India’s maternal mortality lags Iran, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Pakistan
KarmaKonnect provides you with the much-needed support to plan, implement, and monitor programs that optimize the strategic impact of your grants - thus making it easy to optimally manage your philanthropic spend and achieve the desired impact.
You get the insights and analysis that help you refine and personalize your giving, making it easier to create a greater impact of your generosity. As a committed partner, KarmaKonnect can do part, or all of the homework on your behalf so you save time and effort. We work with you, listen to your needs, and provide you with customized solutions that best meet your interests. As a trusted partner, we help you build and implement a truly engaging and impactful program for your philanthropic goals.
For donors looking for high-performance, scalable, and sustainable social interventions, KarmaKonnect offers tailored charity analysis that is customized to meet the unique needs of individuals, private foundations, and corporations. KarmaKonnect has partnered with many donors, corporate, and foundations on their CSR/Donation strategy and facilitated projects that tie-in with their values and interests, resulting in a commendable ground level impact. KarmaKonnect has so far supported corporates such as Adani Foundation, IMS, Baby Products-UK and many NRIs in their social responsibility objectives.
Till date, KarmaKonnect has:
- Worked with over 18 non-profits and funded 23 social entrepreneurs
- Engaged over 3,800 stakeholders
- Helped direct INR 6 Cr to the Indian development sector
- Key interventions in Women Empowerment, Child Education and Rural Development as well as Civic service watch in over 11 states
(NGO/SOCIAL IMPACT PROJECTS)
KarmaKonnect follows a systematic and transparent donor consulting engagement process to help you realize maximum impact:
- KarmaKonnect performs rigorous due diligence on every organization/project recommended to you. This ensures they are performing social impact work in a transparent and accountable manner, and that they meet operational guidelines and financial reporting requirements for registration with the government.
- KarmaKonnect collects and reviews documentation for every organization, including its legal documents, financial records, program material, and lists of senior staff and board members, in order to validate the organization that is running the project as described.
- KarmaKonnect also evaluates the organization’s capacity to implement activities, and communicate about its work. In addition, research on the organization’s relationship with previous funders is also conducted.
- KarmaKonnect ensures that the organization is compliant with anti-terror guidelines and is deeply committed to nation-building causes. Once they’ve been vetted and added to the KarmaKonnect community, each organization is required to submit quarterly project reports, including activities, accomplishments, and results of the project to-date. A thorough due diligence is conducted for renewal on all organizations every year. Every effort is made to ensure each organization is personally visited by a KarmaKonnect representative once every three months.
KarmaKonnect has a prestigious Board of Directors that includes leading public figures renowned for their specialist expertise. Armed with years of experience in project evaluation and selection, KarmaKonnect team maintains a network of contacts with a diverse range of Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs). Therefore, KarmaKonnect aims to provide well-researched and credible philanthropic opportunities in order to help solve key developmental issues in India. To this effect KarmaKonnect makes all efforts to ensure:
- Donations have the maximum effect
With careful project evaluation and strict project controlling, KarmaKonnect can assure you that your donations have the maximum possible effect. By donating through KarmaKonnect, you can benet from our well-researched and audited developmental models and
- Solutions are tailor-made
The structure of KarmaKonnect facilitates tailor-made solutions in line with your individual aspirations and needs. KarmaKonnect provides personal recommendations in key sectors after a comprehensive analysis of the issues and solutions.
- Tax exemption is made available
American taxpayers enjoy tax deduction for cash donations made through KarmaKonnect to approved institutions. Donations are targeted Awards to projects are targeted and purposeful towards a sustainable impact in the targeted focus area.
- Donations are targeted
Awards to projects are targeted and purposeful towards a sustainable impact in the targeted focus area.
- Accounting and reporting are transparent
KarmaKonnect Foundation will be subject to an annual external statutory audit by an international public accounting firm.
Since the introduction of the companies Act 2013, KarmaKonnect has worked with many corporates and foundations on their CSR/Donation strategy and has facilitated projects that tie-in with their values and interests.
As your trusted partner, KarmaKonnect ensures that your money reaches the cause, which it was donated for, through detailed third-party audit and feedback report on the utilization of your money. You also get a tax receipt instantly for your donation. KarmaKonnect acts as a one-point ‘accountability’ contact in India for your donation portfolio (NGOs, persons, and projects). You can choose to donate through a range of payment options - online banking, credit card, cheque/demand draft, and cash-on-delivery.
While there are a large number of causes, donors are, in most cases, unaware of the ways they can contribute. KarmaKonnect can help you create an impact by a four-dimensional approach:
- Articulate donation/impact investment strategy
KarmaKonnect will understand your key considerations for donor/investment initiatives and articulate a strategy, accordingly. These, typically, include areas/issues of interest, compliance, size of the donor commitment, geography preferences, nature of support, and a common framework for defining the success of the initiatives.
- Identify and select credible projects
KarmaKonnect will evaluate its network of 120+ non-profits/social entrepreneurs to identify and recommend projects aligned to your interests. Working with KarmaKonnect, you get to leverage partner networks and explore additional organizations and projects. The recommended projects are vetted by KarmaKonnect to ensure legal compliance with the FCRA Act and other laws. Through this process, KarmaKonnect will:
- Shortlist non-profits and/or impact investing projects
- Recommend projects that align with their strategic goals
- Work with them to address questions/ concerns and impact evaluation
- Work with the NGO/Project teams to design an action plan
- Schedule volunteer/youth campaigns around your donation strategy
Recommendations will be shared through brief NGO/Social Impact project profiles outlining details such as the vision, the challenge and the NGO’s solution, program methodology, annual NGO budget and leader’s experience.
- Develop NGO grant/investment plans
KarmaKonnect will work with the selected grantees to prepare a detailed project plan, including, scope of the project, estimated budget, key roles and responsibilities, project activities, management reports and disbursement schedule and desired project outcomes.
A tri-party MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) between the donor, KarmaKonnect, and the NGO/Social Entrepreneur
- Monitor and report grant progress
KarmaKonnect will ensure consistent and regular updates from the grantee through periodic check-in calls, reports and site visits. Over a one year grant, KarmaKonnect will share with you, a half-yearly third-party inspection report, one annual report and a certified fund utilization certificate.
A periodic project report (on pre-determined dates and agreed format) highlighting project progress, outcomes achieved, challenges faced, budget utilized, etc.
- Grant to KarmaKonnect
Besides the value of the total grant to be managed, the number of grantee partners, and the nature of support required, KarmaKonnect will raise a grant/consulting fee from the donor (based on estimated man-days) to cover for its expenses for planning, implementation and monitoring your grant.
- High net-worth donors
Large philanthropist and NRI donors are provided with an easy-to-use and filter-friendly online platform that inspires and facilitates through content on “innovative” ways to engage with NGOs/Projects and empowers to bring about change for causes they are passionate about. For additional support, a dedicated KarmaKonnect consulting arrangement is made that helps plan, implement, and monitor the donor’s net social impact. KarmaKonnect performs the following activities for NRI donors:
- Screen NGOs and their operational efficiencies
- Conduct best practice research on social development interventions
- Optimize the social Impact on your donations
- Help NGOs scale up and perform with clear monitoring and reporting
- Plan, implement, and monitor the impact of donations and provide guidance on strategic long term goals